SolarWinds Cloud develops best-of-breed products monitoring products: Papertrail (Real Time Troubleshooting), AppOptics (Server, Infrastructure, and Application Performance Monitoring), Pingdom (Uptime and Digital experience monitoring and Loggly (Log analysis Solution)
We are currently hiring Senior Data Engineers who enjoy working on large-scale distributed systems problems to build a metrics and monitoring solution used by thousands of customers.
We’re a small team so everyone has the opportunity to have a big impact. We’ve built our platform out largely on Java 8 Dropwizard services, a handful of Golang services and some C++ where performance is critical. We leverage Kafka as our main service bus and combine it with our in-house stream processing framework (SuperChief) for real-time processing of millions of messages per second and tens of terabytes of logs per day. We store hundreds of terabytes of metrics and logs in Cassandra and MySQL clusters. We are big fans of Zookeeper for lightweight intra/inter-service coordination.
All team members, whether local or remote, commit code to GitHub, communicate over Slack and Google Hangouts, push code to production via our ChatOps bot, and run all production applications on AWS. We also use an array of best-of-breed SaaS applications to get code to production quickly and reliably. We are a team that is committed to a healthy work/life balance.
Papertrail, AppOptics, Pingdom and Loggly are wholly owned by SolarWinds Inc. so you get the benefits of a small startup with the backing of a big company, so there is no worry about the next round of funding.
What would you do?
• Be a crucial contributor to the SolarWinds Cloud backend architecture
• Build distributed systems using languages including Java 8, Go or C++
• Help drive the next generation of monitoring tools for cloud applications
• Work with massive datasets in a real-time distributed system
• Continually improve availability, scalability, performance and automation of our services
• Mentor team members on best engineering practices
• Explore and evaluate cutting-edge distributed systems technologies and practices
• Come up with creative solutions to solve tough scalability and performance problems
• Work with a distributed team of engineers across all layers of the product
• Architect applications that leverage the latest capabilities provided by cloud technologies
What do we expect you to know/have?
The right candidate is adept at building scalable and highly-available systems in modern system languages. You are religious in using metrics to reason about the characteristics of an application, client library, or data store and use them to drive your decisions when shipping to production.
You are a developer who appreciates well-written code and cares about the impact of your design decisions on the user experience.
• 4+ years of distributed systems experience with Java, Go or C++. Comfortable with using and reasoning about concurrency primitives
• Passion for exploring emerging frameworks, libraries, technology stacks
• Experience with Kafka or other messaging experience (JMS, AMQP, RabbitMQ, …)
• Understand the importance of metric instrumentation
• Experience with building and consuming REST APIs
• Comfortable debugging network, disk, performance bugs in complex distributed systems
• Experience developing in Linux environments
• Git and Maven savvy
• Experience with unit testing
• Comfortable with cloud-based deployment and remote teams
• Experience with ZooKeeper or with in other memory data grids (Redis, Infinispan, …)
• Experience with Dropwizard or Spring Boot
• Experience with a NoSQL database (Cassandra, MongoDB, Hbase, …)
• Experience with highly-available (NoSQL) data stores
• Experience fire-fighting applications in production
• Able to write applications that use SQL databases
• Experience working with a remote team
• Experience with AWS cloud
• Have built stream-processing applications using frameworks like Heron/Storm/Samza
• Have worked with large time-series datasets
What awaits for you besides the top technology and great coworkers?
We offer many benefits, including competitive salary, bonus system and growth opportunities.
We promote self-education and support you in learning new things through conferences, learning tutorials, and mentors. We give you additional 10 days for independent study every year.
You can enjoy comfortable office space with free and tasty coffee, snacks, game rooms, soft chairs, billiard, Wii, and Xbox 360. And if you are a PS4 fan, note that we have it, too, together with a VR gear. You can bike to work and find colleagues who do same sports as you do, or work from home.
We provide Flexi Passes, pension or life insurance benefits, flexible working hours, 3 sick days per year and fresh fruits in the kitchen.