SolarWinds Cloud develops best-of-breed products monitoring products: Papertrail (Real Time Troubleshooting), AppOptics (Server, Infrastructure, and Application Performance Monitoring), Pingdom (Uptime and Digital experience monitoring and Loggly (Log analysis Solution).
We are currently hiring Data Engineers who enjoy working on large-scale distributed systems problems to build a metrics and monitoring solution used by thousands of customers.
We’re a small team so everyone has the opportunity to have a big impact. We’ve built our platform out largely on Java 8 Dropwizard services, a handful of Golang services and some C++ where performance is critical. We leverage Kafka as our main service bus and combine it with our in-house stream processing framework (SuperChief) for real-time processing of millions of messages per second and tens of terabytes of logs per day. We store hundreds of terabytes of metrics and logs in Cassandra and MySQL clusters. We are big fans of Zookeeper for lightweight intra/inter-service coordination.
All team members, whether local or remote, commit code to GitHub, communicate over Slack and Google Hangouts, push code to production via our ChatOps bot, and run all production applications on AWS. We also use an array of best-of-breed SaaS applications to get code to production quickly and reliably. We are a team that is committed to a healthy work/life balance.
Papertrail, AppOptics, Pingdom and Loggly are wholly owned by SolarWinds Inc. so you get the benefits of a small startup with the backing of a big company, so there is no worry about the next round of funding.
What will you do?
• Be a crucial contributor to the SolarWinds Cloud backend architecture
• Build distributed systems using languages including Java 8, Go or C++
• Help drive the next generation of monitoring tools for cloud applications
• Work with massive datasets in a real-time distributed system
• Continually improve availability, scalability, performance and automation of our services
• Explore and evaluate cutting-edge distributed systems technologies and practices
• Come up with creative solutions to solve tough scalability and performance problems
• Work with a distributed team of engineers across all layers of the product
• Architect applications that leverage the latest capabilities provided by cloud technologies
What do we expect you to know/have?
The right candidate is adept at building scalable and highly-available systems in modern system languages. You are religious in using metrics to reason about the characteristics of an application, client library, or data store and use them to drive your decisions when shipping to production.
You are a developer who appreciates well-written code and cares about the impact of your design decisions on the user experience.
• Knowledge of Java or Go
• Passion for exploring emerging frameworks, libraries, technology stacks
• Understand the importance of metric instrumentation
• Experience with consuming REST APIs
• Comfortable debugging network, disk, performance bugs in complex distributed systems
• Experience developing in Linux environments
• Git and Maven savvy
• Solid understanding of unit testing concepts
• Comfortable with cloud-based deployment and remote teams
• Experience with ZooKeeper or with in other memory data grids (Redis, Infinispan, …)
• Experience with Dropwizard or Spring Boot
• Experience with Kafka or other messaging experience (JMS, AMQP, RabbitMQ, …)
• Experience with a NoSQL database (Cassandra, MongoDB, Hbase, …)
• Experience with highly-available (NoSQL) data stores
• Experience fire-fighting applications in production
• Able to write applications that use SQL databases
• Experience working with a remote team
• Experience with AWS cloud
• Have built stream-processing applications using frameworks like Heron/Storm/Samza
• Have worked with large time-series datasets
What awaits you besides the top technology and great coworkers?
We offer many benefits – let us list the main ones: competitive salary, bonuses and growth opportunities.
We promote self-education and support you in learning new things – through conferences, learning tutorials, and mentors. We invest in your growth - we give you an additional 10 days off for independent study every year.
We provide flexible working hours, sick days, Flexi Passes, pension or life insurance benefits and fruits in the kitchen.
You can enjoy comfortable office spaces with free and tasty coffee, snacks, game rooms, soft chairs, billiard, Wii, and PS 4 with VR.